To celebrate the highly anticipated United Kingdom and Ireland release of feature film TRON: Legacy, online magazine Don’t Panic is giving one designer the chance to win a MacBook and to have their artwork seen across the country.
Follow the design brief and entry guidelines (click here) to create a TRON: Legacy inspired postcard based on the theme, ‘Hidden Places’. Eight thousand copies of the winning entry will be printed and distributed throughout the United Kingdom via Don’t Panic’s packs. The winner will also receive a brand new MacBook. We’ll also reward five runners up with official TRON: Legacy merchandise packs. Upload your designs here, to the TRON: Legacy gallery, which are open to public vote.
About the film
“TRON: LEGACY is a high-tech 3D adventure set in a digital world unlike anything ever captured on the big screen. When Sam Flynn (GARRETT HEDLUND), the tech-savvy 27-year-old son of Kevin Flynn (JEFF BRIDGES), looks into his father’s disappearance he finds himself pulled into a digital world where his father has been trapped for 20 years. Along with Kevin’s loyal confidant Quorra (OLIVIA WILDE), father and son embark on a life-and-death journey of escape across a visually-stunning cyber universe that has become far more advanced and exceedingly dangerous. Directed by Joseph Kosinski. Cast includes Jeff Bridges, Garrett Hedlund, Olivia Wilde, Bruce Boxleitner, James Frain, Beau Garrett and Michael Sheen.”
- Open to anyone
- Voting will begin on 29 November 2010, and will end at midnight 12 Dec 2010 when THE TOP TEN ENTRIES BY VOTE will be presented to a judging panel who will select the winner and the top five runners up
– The overall winner will be announced on 13 Dec 2010
– The winner will be published in the Dec/Jan Don’t Panic pack
– Important: If you are thinking of using images from the film or the film’s posters please make sure you do not copy them directly, but create your own interpretation of them
– Please make sure your name, daytime phone number and email address are added to your profile on dontpaniconline.com – you can edit your profile at any time but please make sure this information is present before the competition ends
– Entries must follow the design specifications (below) otherwise they risk disqualification
– Entries must be on-brief
– Entries can be submitted until the closing date of midnight 12 Dec 2010 but if you upload later than the voting deadline you will be missing out on votes
– Entries can only be submitted via dontpaniconline.com
– All entries will be moderated and any containing any offensive imagery will be removed
– All work must be original and created for this brief and must not have been used or published elsewhere before
- Dimensions: A6 postcard portrait or landscape (105 x 148mm)
– For purposes of voting and pre-viewing in the web gallery, your entry needs to be formatted into a JPG or PNG format, resolution: 72dpi, max filesize: 1MB
– RGB format, but please bear in mind that if your entry is chosen as the winner, a CMYK version will be required
– The design should not carry text or important images on the edge of the poster. Ideally, a 3mm gap (bleed), not white, should be left free of text or any important information to ensure the artwork can be printed properly
– If your entry is chosen as the winner, you will be contacted to send over the hi-res (300 dpi) version of it. So be prepared to have this quality version ready if you are chosen (CYMK, as explained above). High resolution PDF is the best submission format
Terms and conditions
The winner will receive a MacBook featuring: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB DDR3 memory, 250GB hard drive1, 8x double-layer SuperDrive, NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics, built-in 10-hour battery and polycarbonate unibody enclosure. 80,000 copies of the winning entry will be printed and distributed throughout the UK via Don’t Panic packs. Entries with the highest votes may not necessarily win. Please do not feature the Don’t Panic logo on your design. Entries received after the deadline will not be considered. Entries that do not follow the design brief will not be considered but may not be deleted
Check out the official TRON:LegacyFacebook page for further inspiration!
View the trailer below:
Have you ever considered pursuing a career in graphic design or digital media? Check out FIDM/Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising’s program for Graphic Design where you can learn all aspects of print media, including typography, digital photography and publication/layout design, and FIDM’sDigital Media program where you can learn editing, digital composition, motion graphics, 3-D modeling & animation, and sound design.
Mani O’Brien is the Online Editor for the FIDMDigitalArts Blog and the Social Media Marketing Manager for FIDM/Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising. She earned her bachelor of arts degree in print journalism from the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism & Mass Communications at Arizona State University in 2006, and Associate of Arts degree in Graphic Design (Professional Designation) at FIDM in 2010. When she’s not brainstorming social media marketing ideas or writing about the graphic design and digital media, she enjoys practicing yoga, reading magazines, and hanging out with friends and family in Los Angeles.