If you are a Snapchat enthusiast you have noticed the innovative addition of Geofilters, a fun way to share where you are using visually pleasing overlays that are are specific to neighborhoods and special locations. Artists and designers from around the world are encouraged to use Snapchat’s Geofilter creation tool to bring a one-of-a-kind style to the Snapchat community. Simply choose the geographic area you want your filter to be available in and upload an image asset you created. All images must be original artwork and have to first be approved by the Snapchat team.
Create a Geofilter for FIDM
With the addition of this feature on Snapchat, the social media team at FIDM/Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising would love to have a Geofilter of their own and is looking for your input on what the original artwork should be. If your artwork is selected as the official Geofilter for one of FIDM’s campuses, an article will be published showcasing you and your work. Following these guidelines below will help increase the likelihood of your Geofilter being selected!
- Businesses are not currently eligible for Community Geofilters.
- Draw your geofence thoughtfully, it should only cover the relevant area.
- Keep it local. Do not cover an entire Country, State or Province.
- Select a public place, neighborhood, landmark, venue or other location where people are likely to gather and send Snaps. (Example: FIDM Los Angeles Campus, FIDM San Francisco Campus, Grand Hope Park, etc)
- All graphics used must be 100% original.
- Absolutely no logos or trademarks, including school crests and similar marks.
- Be creative and make it visually compelling.
- Don’t cover up too much of the screen.
- Make sure it’s relevant to the location and something that people will want to use.
- Provide a good description, including any relevant dates.
- Files should be 1080px wide.
- Files should be under 300KB (for PNGs).
Start college and kickstart your career in graphic design.
FIDM/Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising isn’t just a recognized leader in the study of design and creative business– we’re a training ground for the exciting career in graphic design you’ve always dreamed of pursuing. No other graphic design program has the same unique focus on the fashion and entertainment industries, teaching creative expression in all aspects of print media, logo development, corporate identity, product branding, packaging, apparel graphics and more.
Creative careers begin here.
With four California campuses located in the heart of the fashion and entertainment industries, FIDM is a leading, accredited college offering specialized Associate of Arts and Bachelor’s of Arts degrees. FIDM has been educating students with creative and leadership skills for the global industries of fashion, visual arts, interior design, and entertainment for more than 45 years. Learn more at www.fidm.edu.
The FIDM Digital Arts Blog is dedicated to professional and aspiring graphic designers and filmmakers, illustrating the range of career opportunities within these fields written by FIDM/Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising. See more at www.fidmdigitalarts.com.